Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Paranoid?





A recent realization of mine is that we all tend to have a little bit of paranoia and conspiracy theory running around in the back of our heads. Hearing several of the health concerns and while I will admit, many a time our family err's on the side of caution and changes our habits. But lately I wonder, how much of our changes are based on fear?


Fear is a great motivator, a undeniably evil tormentor, and unfortunately something I have succumb to way too often. As a "crunchy" mommy I look at the health risks associated with everything, the risks of SIDS (which really hits me hard as two families in our last church have lost babies, and I have babies!) the risks of cancers, the risks of heart disease and a whole myriad of other problems, this worry list continues to grow with each discovery I make. "How could I have let this come into my house without even knowing?" I think. I indignantly glare at the objects and beat myself up for my lack of research about them.

Yes I worry, I worry more than I think I ever should. My worry list drags on and on until sometimes I wonder if anything in our lives is truly healthy for our kids. While I will continue to research and study and more than likely I will probably still worry, I am reminded of one true fact. God is in control. Period. No if's. No and's. No but's. Our kids could face horrible things whether or not we change every bad thing in our lives. There is nothing we can say or do. In fact many a time we worry about things that, even though they are possibilities, they will NEVER happen. Not to say that nothing will happen or some of those things won't take place, or even that we shouldn't take precautions to safeguard our children, but I think sometimes in this journey we need to stop focusing on what could happen if we don't do this or that. It is out of our control whether or not things happen.

God gently reminds me that all things work together for good for those who love the Lord.(Romans 8:28) His eternal being knows my life, my heart and my kids better than I ever will. He knows everything good and bad that is going to happen and he knows the end. We can be confident that he will work it all out for his good and his plan.  As Billy Graham said, "I've read the last page of the Bible, It's all going to turn out alright." What more is there to say?

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. ~ 2 Timothy 1:7 KJV

Therefore since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our God is a consuming fire. ~ Hebrews 12:28-29

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. ~ Jeremiah 29:11

As we meditate on God's word and grow closer to him, he holds us, he stabilizes our walk and he and he alone holds the future. Don't forget that Satan had to beg God's permission to attack Job. He will not allow us to be faced with anything we cannot handle with his help.

Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be Thankful. ~Colossians 3:15

Just some things to keep in mind before you throw away everything you own because it's unsafe. :o)
(I know I needed the reminder! Pray for me! I need it to battle my fear! If you need prayer feel free to comment, I will pray for you too!)

Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment